Ed Speleers France Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ed Speleers France Forum

Forum consacre a l'acteur Ed Speleers - Forum dedicated on the actor Ed Speleers

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

IGN: Interview with Ed Speleers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Angelica Speleers
Fondatrice
Fondatrice
Angelica Speleers

Female
Number of posts : 1098
Localisation - Country : Swiss
Registration date : 2006-08-07

IGN: Interview with Ed Speleers Empty
PostSubject: IGN: Interview with Ed Speleers   IGN: Interview with Ed Speleers EmptyThu 12 Oct - 20:32

Français à la suite

Interview: Edward Speleers
A chat with the star of Eragon.
by Stax
October 11, 2006 - IGN attended a roundtable interview last week with newcomer Edward Speleers, the 18-year-old star of 20th Century Fox's forthcoming fantasy epic Eragon. The incredibly modest English actor makes his film debut as the title character in the big-screen adaptation of Christopher Paolini's beloved bestseller.

Eragon follows a poor farm boy (Speleers) who finds a polished blue stone in the wilderness. The stone becomes a dragon hatchling. With that discovery, Eragon finds himself immersed in magic, power and grave danger. Eragon and his dragon Saphira must avoid the evil King's minions as they travel the Empire, with each step of their perilous adventure taking Eragon that much closer to his amazing destiny.

The film also stars Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich, Djimon Hounsou, Robert Carlyle, Sienna Guillory and Garrett Hedlund. Eragon opens December 15.

Q: This film is the first anyone will have heard of you. Tell us a little bit about your background, how you got into acting.

SPELEERS: I never went to stage school or anything like that. It was always plays, productions at school and things like that. The thing for me with acting was it was the only thing I could fully concentrate on. I loved playing sports. I didn't really love studying. [laughs] But acting was one of those things where if I had a rehearsal for four hours, I was quite happy to be there. A lot of my friends that I was acting with after a couple of hours were like, "Can we go now?" But I was happy to be there the whole time and I was happy to pursue it.

Q: Can you tell us about how you got cast as Eragon?

SPELEERS: I think it was a bit of luck dying my hair blond two weeks before the audition, really. My drama teacher put me forward. ... I went up for an audition in Hammersmith and met Stefen Fangmeier, the director, and Wyck Godfrey, the producer. I had a warm vibe coming out of the audition and feeling good about myself but not thinking I was suddenly going to land a role like this. Just happy to get auditioned. And then they said, "Well, we'll send you a script." Great, y'know? That's fine with me. Then they send me along to a second audition. I started to think in my mind, "Well, this is exciting." Again, I didn't expect anything to happen. I had to wait and was biting my nails for about ten days. The next thing I know my dad phones me to say, "You've got the part."

Q: Have you heard that after the people at Fox saw your DVD, it took them all of a half-hour to pick you after months of looking at hundreds of other people?

SPELEERS: I've heard similar things but I'm going to be modest. No, I hadn't. [laughs]

Q: What was on that DVD you're said to have made as an audition? Had you done commercials or anything?

SPELEERS: No, not even that. I've seen the audition tape because when I got to Hungary my acting coach showed it to me to say, "This is what you do and what you don't do." My audition tape was, "This is what you don't do." And I saw a couple of other auditions and I was the only one who held his script. My script was in the audition so maybe that was the key. [laughs] I just had a couple of scenes to do from the movie in the original audition. In the second audition I had to go and actually put some effort in and learn the lines. That was it really. There was nothing [on the DVD] from school performances or anything like that. I hadn't done commercials, television or anything. This is it. This is the first professional job.

Q: So they had to train you? Like in sword-fighting, dragon riding.

SPELEERS: We couldn't track any dragons down. About three weeks before production, they had me an hour in the gym every morning, two hours sword-fighting, two hours on a horse, two hours archery then three hours of acting classes every day. ... I actually loved it because it was a new experience to me. I've ridden horses before but not to that extent. The sword work – now, in my own time, I wield a samurai sword in my garden. I'm constantly learning new tricks in preparation for [a sequel] if we get there, y'know? Thinking ahead.

Q: Did you immediately go out upon getting the job and get the novel to read?

SPELEERS: I'd read the novel already. It was going around my school so I picked it up. So when I heard about the film I was, "Okay, cool." Enjoyed the book.

Q: How close is the script to the book?

SPELEERS: Well, it's got everything that the book needs. What you feel after reading the book you'll feel after seeing the movie, I think. Obviously, like any movie of any book, if you were to film every page of that book, we'd be watching the movie for four days. So things have got to change slightly but the essence of the story is there and everything that's important in the story is there and the characters. It's all there. Christopher Paolini's seen a couple of things from it and I've spoken to him about it. He's got a good vibe going and I have a positive vibe about it. I'm somebody who is very conscious about when you read a book and you translate it onto film and about the differences. And although I haven't seen much of the movie, from what we made of it I'm a happy bunny.

Q: What was important to you to keep true about the character?

SPELEERS: Well, the whole essence. It's mainly about the whole learning curve, the coming-of-age basically. Portraying this character who is sort of caught in this stage between manhood and boyhood, sort of in that no man's land. But I had to try and convey that with the added pressure of becoming a dragon rider, which doesn't happen to many people. For me, I just have to keep it nice and natural and keep him as the earthy character that he is. Take him from that transition of being a naive, vulnerable, wide-eyed character to being somebody heroic.

Q: When did you first see footage of yourself with the dragon? Was it at all during filming so you could make adjustments or was it only after filming?

SPELEERS: Finished pictures of the dragon? Only after. I've seen a few things. I haven't seen much. But with developing the dragon, I tried to – you have to remember, I was performing against an orange tennis ball most of the time, which is fine. To start with it is tricky but once I found a way of picturing Saphira – I've actually since spoken to Christopher about this again and explained how I imagined Saphira myself to act with. He said, "That's exactly how you should imagine it."

Q: Your actual relationship with Jeremy Irons mirrors your characters' relationship in this film. He took you under his wing and mentored you a bit?

SPELEERS: I don't know if that's him being a Method actor. [laughs] No, he's one of the most amazing people I've ever met, seriously. He was my mentor onscreen and off-screen. He made me a better person, I think. He made me a better actor, I hope. He tried to develop certain skills for me. He had lots of great advice and great things to say to me. He was just there for me the whole time. He's that sort of guy.

Q: What was the best advice he gave you about acting?

SPELEERS: He said always be yourself and basically don't let anybody push you around. But he also made it clear to me: keep training. He gave me things to do next. Look at certain types of movies, what to look for in a script and also training. He mentioned a lot about training, which I've taken serious consideration in and that's my next plan.

Q: You mentioned having conversations with the author. How many did you have and how in-depth were they?

SPELEERS: Well, they've only been post-production. We've only just been able to make contact with each other. The first conversation we held [was] about two months ago after I got back from Vancouver. It was only supposed to be a five-minute hello and we were on the phone for about an hour and a half. Waffling away about nothing really. That was the first meeting kind of thing. Then we've been e-mailing each other since then. Then we had the opportunity to actually meet in New York just before the Toronto Film Festival. So just a couple of weeks ago. Met him there and had a photo shoot. He started giving advice about how to prepare yourself, how to address the fans. All this kind of stuff. I spoke about the movie and he asked me certain questions. For example, about Saphira and I told him I tried to imagine the dragon as a sort of mixture between my best friend and my mum. And he said that's exactly what it is. To hear him say that made me feel, obviously, naturally good.

Q: What did your mom say about that?

SPELEERS: Well, she's not going to find out until you guys actually print that. [laughs]

Q: Are you prepared for the eventual celebrity that's going to be thrust upon you when this movie opens?

SPELEERS:
If it's thrust upon me then I don't know how you can prepare yourself for that. ... The thing about all this celebrity fame nonsense to me is, at the end of day, I want to be an actor and I want to pursue my acting career. If fame comes along with that, that's great. But my job isn't about pursuing fame and then becoming an actor. It's about becoming an actor and if fame follows suit that's fine.

Q: What was the biggest shock for you in making your first feature film?

SPELEERS:
How bloody slow it was. Tell you what, I'm used to being on the stage. An hour and a half. Bang-bang-bang. Ten hours into the shoot you've got two lines done. But at the same time it's something I've learned to appreciate. That's fine. It was bizarre to start with but then I had a great cast and crew around to make sure I didn't get too stressed out about it. I kept fresh and still had energy throughout the day.

Q: What were the toughest and easiest parts of making this film?

SPELEERS:
Well, there were no easy bits, I don't think. A lot of it was enjoyable. Some of the toughest stuff was some of the most rewarding stuff. Some of the scenes with the dragon were obviously tricky, and there's a few brief scenes near the end of the movie – I don't know how they're going to come across – but they were some of the most difficult to film because they were hugely emotional scenes. And hugely emotional with nothing is sometimes tricky but at the same time they were, in my mind, rewarding. We'll see what happens in December with that.

Q: How long was the shoot?

SPELEERS:
Well, on and off [for] about a year. We spent four months in Hungary and Slovakia last summer and then we had a little break. Then we went to Pinewood Studios to do the dragon riding sequences and that took about eight weeks. Then we had a tiny break and then went to Vancouver for a month.

Q: Are you signed up for sequels?

SPELEERS:
I am signed up but I can obviously be kicked off. [laughs]

Q: So you're signed for two films?

SPELEERS:
For the next two, yeah. Then we have to make Christopher write some more.

Q: Have they mapped out when they would like to start filming the sequels?

SPELEERS:
No, but I'm kind of always the last to find out. We'll see what happens December 15th through the 19th. I guess if we have a good weekend, we might have a few more answers [then]. I'd love to keep doing this trilogy and I love playing the character so hopefully we'll be doing it sometime soon

Source: Movies.IGN.com

Last edited by on Sun 12 Nov - 20:03; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://angelicasworld.livejournal.com
Angelica Speleers
Fondatrice
Fondatrice
Angelica Speleers

Female
Number of posts : 1098
Localisation - Country : Swiss
Registration date : 2006-08-07

IGN: Interview with Ed Speleers Empty
PostSubject: Re: IGN: Interview with Ed Speleers   IGN: Interview with Ed Speleers EmptySun 12 Nov - 14:03

Interview : Edward Speleers
Une discussion avec le tenant du premier rôle dans Eragon
par Stax

11 octobre 2006 - IGN a assisté à une entrevue la semaine dernière avec Edward Speleers, la star de 18 ans du 20 siècles, qui tient le premier rôle de l'épopée Eragon. L'acteur anglais incroyablement modeste, fait ses débuts de film comme Eragon, dans l'adaptation des livres de Christopher Paolini.

Eragon est un pauvre fermier (Speleers) qui trouve une pierre bleue polie dans les montagnes. La pierre est en fait un dragon. Avec cette trouvailles, Eragon lui-même est immergé dans la magie. Eragon et son dragon Saphira doivent éviter les sbires du mauvais roi pendant qu'ils voyagent à travers l'empire, vivant chaques étapes de leur aventure périlleuse dont elles rapprochent Eragon de plus en plus d'un destin étonnant.

Les autres personnages principaux sont Jeremy Irons (Brom) , John Malkovich (le roi Galbatorix), Djimon Hounsou (Ajihad), Robert Carlyle (Durza), Sienna Guillory (Arya) et Garrett Hedlund.(Murtagh).

Q : Ce film est le premier et n'importe qui aura entendu parler de vous. Parlez-nous un peu de vos expériences, comment êtes-vous "entré dans l'action".

SPELEERS :
Envant, c'était toujours des jeux, des productions à l'école et des choses comme cela. La chose avec le métier d'acteur est la seule chose à laquelle je pourrais entièrement me concentrer dessus. J'ai aimé faire du sport. Je n'ai pas vraiment aimé étudier [rires] mais être acteur est l'une des choses où lorsque j'ai répété pendant quatre heures, je suis tout à fait heureux d'être là ! Heureux d'être là à plein temps, et heureux de pouvoir poursuivre cela !

Q : Pouvez-vous nous dire comment avez-vous été choisi au casting d'Eragon ?

SPELEERS :
Je pense que j'ai eu le role avec un peux de chance, surtout en teignant mes cheveux en blond, deux semaines avant l'audition.[rires] Mon professeur d'art dramatique, m'a poussé en avant. J'ai été à une audition à Hammersmith, et j'ai rencontrer le réalisateur Stefen Fangmeier, ainsi que les producteurs. Et j'ai obtenu l'audition, je me sentais bien, mais je ne pensait pas que j'allais avoir un rôle comme ça. Ensuite ils m'ont dit qu'ils m'enverrai le script, et ils me l'ont envoyez à la deuxième auditions. Et je commençais à penser, "c'est excitant". Et pendant dix jours, je n'entendais plus rien, je rongeait mais ongles, et après, mon père ma téléphoner, et ma dit "Tu as le role".

Q : Avez-vous entendu dire qu'après avoir vu votre audition, ils ont mis une demi-heure pour vous choisir après qu'ils aient regardés des centaines d'autres personnes ?

SPELEERS :
J'ai entendu des choses semblables mais je vais être modeste. Non, je n'en avais pas entendu parler ! [rires]

Q : Qu'aviez-vous fais dans votre audition ? Aviez-vous fais des films publicitaires ou bien ce genre de chose ?

SPELEERS
: Non. J'ai vu la bande d'audition parce que quand je suis arrivé en Hongrie on me l'a montrée et on m'a dit, "ceci est ce que vous devez faire, et ceci ne pas faire."Et ma bande d'audition était "ce que vous ne devez pas faire". J'ai vu d'autres auditions et j'étais le seul à avoir tenu le script en main. Mon script faisait parti de l'audition donc il s'agissait peut-être de la clef ! [rires] . Dans la seconde audition, j'ai dû travailler réellement, et plus que dans la première. J'ai appris mon texte. Il n'y avait rien que [sur le DVD] des productions d'école d'autres choses semblables. Je n'avais jamais fait de films publicitaires. C'était lui. C'était mon premier travail professionnel.

Q : Ainsi, ils ont dû vous former ? Pour le combat d'épée, l'équitation...

SPELEERS :
Environ trois semaines avant la production, ils m'ont eu une heure dans la salle de gymnastique chaque matin, deux heures pour m'entrainer au combat d'épée, deux heures sur un cheval, deux heures de tir à l'arc puis trois heures pour m'aider dans le métier d'acteur, chaque jour... J'ai réellement aimé car c'était une nouvelle expérience pour moi. J'étais déjà monté sur des chevaux avant, mais ce n'était pas pareil.. Le travail avec l'épée - maintenant, dans mon temps libre, j'utilise une épée de samouraï dans mon jardin-. J'apprends constamment de nouveaux tours en vue d'une suite si nous y arrivons. J'anticipe.

Q : Êtes-vous immédiatement sorti en obtenant le travail et avez-vous obtenu le roman pour le lire ?

SPELEERS :
J'avais lu le roman. On en parlait à mon école, et je l'ai pris. Ainsi quand j'ai entendu parler du film j'étais "cool". J'ai apprécié le livre.

Q : Le script n'a pas retranscrit tout le livre, était-il quand même correcte ?

SPELEERS :
Et bien, il a tout dont le livre a besoin. Ce que vous ressentez après avoir lu le livre sera ce que vous ressentirez après avoir vu le film, je pense. Évidemment, comme n'importe quel film de n'importe quel livre, si vous deviez filmer chaque page de ce livre, nous observerions le film pendant quatre jours. Ainsi les choses doivent changer légèrement mais l'essence de l'histoire est là et tout ce qui est important dans l'histoire est présent également. On nous a parlé de sujet, à Christopher Paolini et à moi-même. Lui et moi nous le sentions très bien. Je suis quelqu'un de très conscient des différences lorsque quelqu'un fait d'un livre un film. Et, bien que je n'aie pas vu une grande partie du film, ce que l'on m'a dis à fait de moi quelqu'un d'heureux.

Q : Quand avez-vous vu pour la première fois les images de vous avec le dragon ? Était-il fait pendant le pelliculage ainsi vous aurez pu faire des ajustements ou était-il seulement après le pelliculage ?

SPELEERS :
L'images finie du dragon ? Seulement après. J'ai vu quelques choses. Je n'en ai pas vu beaucoup. Mais avec le développement du dragon, j'ai essayé - vous devez vous en rappeler, la plupart du temps ce dragon était une balle de tennis orange-. J'ai trouvé une manière de décrire Saphira - depuis que j'ai parlé à Christopher de ce sujet sur comment j'ai imaginé Saphira moi-même pour agir, il a dit, "c'est exactement comme vous devez l'imaginer."

Q : Votre rapport réel avec Jeremy Irons reflète le rapport de vos personnages dans le film. Vous a-t-il pris sous son aile et vous a aidé un peu ?

SPELEERS :
Il est l'une des personnes les plus étonnantes que j'ai jamais rencontrées, sérieusement. Il était mon mentor à l'écran, et en dehors de l'écran. Il a fait de moi une meilleures personnes, je pense, et aussi un meilleur acteur, j'espère. Il a essayé de développer certaines de mes compétences. Il m'a indiqué un bon nombre de conseil. Il était juste là, pour moi, tout le temps.

Q : Quel était le meilleur conseil qu'il vous a donné au sujet du métier d'acteur ?

SPELEERS :
Il a dit soyez toujours vous-même et fondamentalement ne laissez quiconque vous pousser. Mais il m'a également expliqué : tenir son entrainement. Il m'a donné des choses à faire pour la suite. Regardez certains types de films, quel sorte de script je devrais rechercher. Il a mentionné beaucoup au sujet de la formation, que j'ai prise à grande considération et c'est mon prochain plan.

Q : Vous avez mentionné avoir eu des conversations avec l'auteur.

SPELEERS :
Et bien, elles ont seulement eue lieu pour la production et juste pour avoir un contact. La première conversation que nous avons tenue était il y a environ deux mois après que je sois revenu de Vancouver. On s'est vu seulement 5 minutes et ensuite nous avons discutés au téléphone pendant environ une heure et demi. C'était un genre de première réunion. Alors nous avons eu l'occasion de se réunir réellement à New York juste avant le festival de film de Toronto. Il y a deux semaines. Il a commencé à me donner des conseils au sujet de la façon de se préparer, comment s'adresser aux fans. Tout ce genre de chose. Je lui ai parlé du film et il m'a posé certaines questions. Par exemple, au sujet de Saphira et de moi, je lui a dit que j'ai essayé d'imaginer le dragon comme une sorte de mélange entre mon meilleur ami et ma mère. Et il a dit que c'est exactement ce qu'il fallait que je fasse. L'entendre dire cela a m'a rendu très heureux.

Q : Que dis votre maman à ce sujet ?

SPELEERS :
Et bien, elle n'a pas était chercher ce que vos coéquipiers sont actuellement en train d'imprimer (pendant l'interview) [rires]

Q : Êtes-vous disposé pour la célébrité, lorsque des fans verrons le films et vous découvrirons ?

SPELEERS :
Je ne sais pas comment je peux me préparer à cela. La chose au sujet de tout est la renommée, si je décide de poursuivre ma carrière. Si la renommée vient avec elle, ce serait génial. Mais mon travail ne consiste pas de poursuivre la renommée. Il consiste de suivre mon métier d'acteur, mais si la renommée suit avec, c'est très bien.

Q : Quel était le plus grand choc pour vous en faisant votre premier long métrage ?

SPELEERS :
Comme il était lent et sanglant. Dites-vous que, je suis employé à être sur la scène. Une heure et demi. Bang, bang, bang. Pour une scéance de dix heures vous avez fait deux lignes. Mais en même temps, ça a été quelque chose que j'ai appris à apprécier. C'était très bien. C'était bizarre pour commencer, mais j'ai toujours eu des cripts géniaux et l'équipe autour de moi me rassurée, je n'ai pas été stressé à propos de cela. J'ai toujours était cool, toujours été énergique tout au long de la journée.

Q : Quelles étaient les parties les plus dures et les plus faciles à faire dans ce film ?

SPELEERS :
Bien, il n'y avait aucune partie un peu facile, je ne pense pas. Beaucoup étaient agréables. Une partie dure était une partie enrichissante. Certaines des scènes avec le dragon étaient évidemment délicates, et il y a quelques scènes brèves près de la fin du film - je ne sais pas comment elles vont se trouver là - mais elles étaient très difficiles à faire car c'étaient des parties très émotives. Nous verrons avec cela ce qui se produira en décembre.

Q : Combien de temps à duré le tournage ?

SPELEERS :
Et bien, avec le tournage et les pauses, environ une année. Nous avons passé quatre mois en Hongrie et en Slovaquie l'été passé et alors nous avons eu une coupure. Alors nous sommes allés aux studios de Pinewood faire les réglages avec le dragon et cela a pris environ huit semaines. Alors nous avons eu une coupure minuscule et sommes alors allés à Vancouver pendant un mois.

Q : Êtes-vous engagé pour des suites ?

SPELEERS :
Je suis engagé mais je peux évidemment me faire jeté [rires]

Q : Ainsi vous avez signé pour deux films ?

SPELEERS :
Pour les deux prochains, ouais. Alors nous devons inciter Christopher à en écrire encore plus.

J'aimerais continuer à faire cette trilogie et j'aime tellement jouer le personnage, si tout va bien, ce que je referais de nouveau.

Traduction by E-S-
Back to top Go down
http://angelicasworld.livejournal.com

IGN: Interview with Ed Speleers
Page 1 of 1